So today is/was my birthday–my 40th. It may have been the coldest day all year here in Luxembourg - in the teens (Farenheit). I knew it was cold when I saw the smoke coming out of the chimney - I guess it had that you know, "cold smoke" look.
Yesterday, Jan 6th is "Ephiphany" celebrating the arrival of the 3 Kings who brought gifts to Jesus in Bethlehem. Here they celebrate by eating a King's Cake or Galette de rois. The cakes are puff pastries often filled with fruit or in this case, frangiopani. what is frangiopani anyway? it tasted like a nut paste, I liked it. inside each cake is a little toy and whomever gets the toy in their slice is "king" for the day. Then they get to wear the crown. I guess some cakes have little plastic babies inside to symbolize the baby jesus. My friend NIls told me that in Paris a very fancy baker made one of his cakes with 2 tiny gold bars inside. So his cakes, already very expensive (25 Euros or so) sold out this year.
Our cake had a very tasteful tiny porcelain tea pot in the shape of a cat. And what luck! My slice had the prize!


No comments:
Post a Comment