Monday, May 31, 2010

Turkey Part IV: Tlos and Olu Deniz

Okay people, bear with me. Turkey had a lot to talk about and show you so it required this beefy 4-part series. I hope you are still interested in seeing and reading about more Turkey!


Here is Tlos, yet another gorgeous, fascinating ancient Lycian city in Turkey. What made Tlos especially interesting was the setting. It was high up in the hills, with spectacular views of snow-capped mountains and verdant valleys. It was so QUIET up there and I loved just sitting and watching the birds and listening to the breeze. Oh yeah, and checking out the ruins, too.



The magnificent view


This was a portion of a public bath house. Nice view, huh?









Some more tombs - which were used and reused by various groups of inhabitants. I guess they just moved out any remaining bones from the previous bodies. 

Milo and Elijah "tracking" a tortoise ...


... then getting a closer look.


An dapperly-dressed older gent, walking around with his goats. 

School kids playing soccer, picking herbs (wild oregano) and just checking things out. It looked like they were on some sort of field trip.


At first the kids were kind of shy.


Picking wild oregano


The bounty, and one of the teachers


the kids became more friendly and obliged having their photos taken





buddies!


After an amazing morning at Tlos ruins, Dave and I ventured off, about an hour and a half, to a beach called OLu Deniz. It's been named one of the most beautiful beaches in Europe or Turkey, etc. and it certainly was gorgeous. It's very popular with tourists during warmer months so we felt really lucky to be there before the crowds while it was still warm enough to sunbathe and swim. We loved it there and came back again the next day with Alex, Lisa, Elijah and Milo.






I couldn't get enough of that water and the stones were beautifully smooth and were shades of soft browns and tans. I jsut sat and ran my hands through the stones and looked for especially nice ones.


Later that night we drove into Dalaman proper ( I think this is Dalaman) for our last night.


We said hello to yet another statue of "Ataturk". 

Had one last mug of fresh-squeezed pomegranite juice and ate some yummy turkish foods.


The next day we drove past fields of orange trees, breathed in the sweet air, and said our "goodbyes".


Bye-bye Turkey! Until next time, which we hope will be soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment