As many of you know, I have been lobbying the Dore household (of two, total) to take an intensive French class in Paris. I've been taking classes locally, and while they are interesting and very inexpensive, they just aren't all that GREAT. I had been advised that an intensive course would be the best way to jump start and also reinforce all that i have been studying in my local classes. So, finally Dave agreed to the
I had fond memories of a favorite book of mine by David Sedaris: Me Talk Pretty One Day and the very very hilarious part about him taking beginning french classes in Paris. Though funny, i was hoping for a better educational experience than what he described.

My first morning, i awoke to a most gorgeous view from the living room window of Ale and Nils' apartment in the 8th arrondisement. They were both gone because of work so I had the place by myself. I am such a lucky, lucky girl for being able to stay at their place. Their graciousness is unparalleled. Note the big & dark (though beautiful) clouds...
On my way to the metro the sky opened up and DUMPED. i have never seen it rain so hard in Paris. the streets were flooding and gutters were bursting. i had an umbrella but everything from the knees down was completely SOAKED. Not a very auspicious start to my week of classes!

L'Alliance Francaise- the French school I attended, and loved. Most of the students were quite a bit younger than moi (one was only 17! and she came all the way from Dubai for the entire month! By herself!) but everyone was very friendly and our class quickly felt like a little family.

Everyday I brought a very exciting lunch: ouefs durs.

Ma clase: representation from Russia, Phillipines, Iran, Dubai, Italy, Turkey, Mexico, and the USA. Tony was our fantastic teacher (center in purple shirt).

The class was close to Luxembourg Gardens so one day i took a stroll to check out the beautiful flowers. The color scheme was pinks and purples. Last year it was mostly yellows and oranges.

A balloon vendor at Lux gardens.
I had a very Parisienne Nuit and ate a wonderful crepe from this place on Isle St Louis followed by a Berthillon mango gelatto. ooh, la laaa.
After a lovely lovely week of class and just wandering the city on my own Nils and Ale returned from a week away and we spent Saturday roaming around. It should be noted that Nils had flown in on a red eye the night before and had a mere 4 hours of sleep. He was just as energetic as always though. He's simply amazing.

We ventured to the north of the city to the huge flea market area. Everything is beautiful here, but nothing is cheap. Some old Tolix (classic French cafe metal seating, still in production near Dijon) stools.
The weather was perfect - somewhat INdian Summer-ish. The sky was SO clear.
Can you see the photographer in this photo???

Loved the colors of everything.

And the clouds again...

We had been here over a year ago, in January and it was a different world. I loved seeing it in the summer, all lush and green and so much more was open. it seemed everywhere you turned you would spot a new cozy corner with some fascination loot. I loved this spot because of the fig tree growing from a broken corner of the pavement.







On our way from the Flea Markets we went to Canal St Martin to walk around. Here is a little community garden just a few blocks from the canal. I especially liked the giant terra cotta pot.
The canal is beautiful - with elaborate metal bridges, locks and plenty of opportunities for people-watching.

Again, the beautiful sky...


This was an old train station perhaps? It's going to be renovated into some sort of public space or market, can't remember exactly what...

...but i thought it was very interesting that the color of it was PURPLE (Christy!!!). Strange color for a building like this. Not sure if it was a result of some sort of weathering process or if it was actually painted this color.

In this photo it looks blue, but it was actually purple... it was it was.
Someone took advantage of every square inch of their outdoor space.

We walked all the way to La Marais and had some delicious pizza at this little restaurant that offers extra seating inside this VW bus parked in front. This time the bus was reserved. :(

Ale waiting patiently for his pizza.

And suddenly I was on a train back home, and just over two hours later I'm in Luxembourg.





No comments:
Post a Comment