Monday, January 4, 2010

Antwerp

Another weekend and another last minute decision to go to a new place. With only one night away we usually keep the trip within a 3 hour driving radius from Luxembourg. This time we chose to go to Antwerp. We had read that it was a really cool, lively, hip city with lots of art, restaurants, shopping, etc. So, we found a super cheap B&B (you get what you pay for, by the way) and hopped in the car Saturday morning and took off.




Our first stop was for lunch, at this asian restaurant called "Lucy Chang". In reality it was pretty good, but tasted REALLY good since it had been so long since we had Thai or any sort of Asian food. Dave got a beef chow mein, "in honor of Judy" who loves the chop suey sandwiches in Salem. I got some good ol' pad thai, in honor of Portland and all the wonderful Thai food take out options there, which i miss so much.



One of the cool things about Antwerp is the funky shops. Lots of second hand places and interesting window displays.


The main square had really beautiful Guild Halls. I think it was more spectacular than the square in Brussels. Now I sound so pretentious for saying that, but I do mean it. These buildings had been destroyed by fires, but were rebuilt in the late 1800's.



They even had a skating rink in the middle of the square. I was thrilled to get out on the ice and skate to the likes of "Dancing Queen" by Abba. A dream come true!




Amazing that even though it's so close to The Netherlands, There just aren't as many bikes in Belgium. However, there were a good amount of them, and as in The Netherlands, people of all ages were riding them.



I liked this sign - easy to understand, even without knowing Flemish.



This boy was following the train, NOT about to get hit by it!



Some more creative window displays - wings made from cocktail umbrellas.



At first this kitty looked like it was stuffed - it was in the window of a book store, well after it was closed. Very friendly and when we tapped the window it would roll over and rub against the glass. Awww...


I liked how the shadows, leaves and wheel looked together ...



Dave and I were trying to take some "self portraits" when this very nice gentleman came up to us and offered to take the photo for us. Afterwards Dave and I were commenting on how NICE people always are when we travel. There have been several times when people are coming up to us and we expect them to yell at us or ask us for money or something but then they offer help or give us directions, etc. It makes you want to be nicer to strangers.



A bizarre window painting in the main square. Dave commented on how in the U.S. you would never see something so riskay in a public square, especially next to a place where kids were ice-skating. Just shows you how Europeans see sex so differently than we puritan Americans do. Not sure what "Rammel-Rammel" means! Hmmm...




On our way back to the B&B it started to snow pretty heavily.




It seems that every time we go to Belgium or The Netherlands I get one of these giant "Spa" water bottles. I love them because of their shape and they have a relief of monkeys on them. I have 5 or 6 of them in different sizes so far.



The view from our B&B - the snow made the city extra pretty. I love seeing all the backyards and the evidence of gardens (espalier trees, etc.).



We made our way to the diamond district. We read that you often see men with briefcases handcuffed to their wrists, as they bring diamonds to and fro to make deals. we didn't see any of that but we did see plenty of shops and men who seemed to be doing some "deals" here and there.



The main train station, also the site of one of those "Improv Everywhere" dance routines you might have seen on YouTube. They did a "sound of Music" medley here. If you haven't seen it, you really should check it out. Even if you have seen it, watch it again and make your day.

here is a link:




The station from the outside.



Dave and a man who might be on his way to make a "diamond deal"!


We walked by this park and discovered it was full of bunnies! Dont know how they survive the winter but they didn't seem phased by the cold weather. Somebody had left scraps of veggies everywhere for them to eat.


Bike trails. People are fearless on bikes - the roads and walks were slippery but people biked with families and bags all loading up the bikes. Inspiring.



Dave needs to get his own sunglasses....


No comments:

Post a Comment