Another Saturday, another opportunity to go to another country. We drove 2 hours to Maastricht, in the Netherlands. A really really nice little city. It's amazing how you cross the border and all of a sudden there are bikes everywhere. All ages and sizes ride bikes. I love it. We also noticed what seemed to be disproportionate number of really TALL people. I have heard that the Netherlands has the tallest people in Europe, maybe the world? Anyway, it was like there were throngs of Amy Steenstras (our very tall friend with Dutch heritage) walking around. Everyone had such great sense of style, too. Refreshing change from Luxembourg in that regard!
A boar skin, outside an antique shop. I noticed they were selling American pink glass for 6 Euros per shot glass. I really wish i had brought the boxes and boxes of pink glass that I have back home so I could sell it here! In the States it's so cheap these days.

I loved how this shop just let the tulips drop petals and they left the pool of petals below. Very pretty.

This was a common sight. The apts often had their windows and shades open to the street so when you walked by you could see the rooms and everyone inside doing their thing. This was a very "Dutch" scene to me - a person biking past his friend, poking his head into their window, open at street level on a busy pedestrian street.



Part of the old walls that used to surround the city, from the 1200's.




No comments:
Post a Comment