Friday, February 27, 2009

Rome: Art, etc.

This boy was sitting with his parents and sister in the Capitolini museum. I loved how he was so serious in his consideration of the sculpture. He really looked at it thoughtfully, and he took his time and seemed to almost struggle to understand or grasp it. 






I liked seeing the dad and son experiencing the Pieta together. 


This is the long escalator up to the Vatican museum collections. I thought it was funny how it looked like we were all going to heaven. 


That really elaborate ceiling BEFORE the sistine chapel.



Dave admiring the Sistine Chapel. It was so crowded once we got into the room. I was touched by this probably college-aged girl crying at the site of it. She was so moved by it. Her reaction moved me.




This is one of the chunks of the giant statue/sculpture of Constantine. 



I noticed that most of the male sculptures were missing their penises. I had chuckle thinking that over the centuries they were stolen and how some really really rich art collector must now own the biggest ancient marble penis collection in the world. Where else did they go???


Dave trying to get a pull at one of the teats next to Remus and Romulus, the fabled founders of Rome, who had been abandoned and then adopted and raised by a wolf. 


Some art you can take home with you! I bought a mini Pantheon, which I love.



Some more chunks of Constantine.




This was my all-time favorite sculpture. I can't remember the guy's name - something like Maritius, a sea-god or something. I was so drawn to this one. I could just look at him forever. 



More take-home "art".

No comments:

Post a Comment