Friday, February 27, 2009

Rome: Orange Trees, etc.

Just as we were landing in Rome Dave asked me what i was most looking forward to. I said that I wanted to see orange trees. He said "Oh Jeez, I don't know how much luck we'll have with that, being Rome is a big city, etc." Lo and behold, there were many, many orange trees and all of them had beautiful ripe fruit on them. Most of them were hanging over the edges of enclosed gardens or courtyards but their presence was still very much felt. I dont know why but i'm kind of fascinated and in awe of citrus fruit trees. they are so different from anything I grew up with. We later went to a park in Aventino, a quiet section of the city, and Nils picked an orange from one of the many trees. As we opened it up the scent brought on these powerful memories of living in Spain in college, when I was so lucky to have fresh-squeezed orange juice every morning. I love oranges.





An orange tree peeking over the edge of a courtyard.


A lemon tree in a pot, on someone's roof deck.

No comments:

Post a Comment