The last time I was in Rome, in 1989, I remember seeing many many more cats all throughout the city, especially in the ruins. This time there were very few of them, and we didn't see any cats at the Coloseum or Forum, where there used to be lots of them. I wonder what happened with them. This one was safe inside a jewelry store.
This was a true "city cat". he was HUGE, but lean. very tough looking, with nicks out of his ears, probably from many sparrings with other cats.

Nils tried to introduce himself to this fine Roman cat that was living near a small ruin in the center of town that was still being excavated.

This is just moments after this cat crossed a really really busy street, in teh crosswalk, and all the cars and trucks STOPPED to let it cross. As human pedestrians, you were never sure if cars were going to stop for you. But this cat pretty much had the confidence (and experience) that the cars would stop for him. It was amazing. Again, he had nicks out of his ears, but he owned the streets. I was following him around to get a better photo of him, and about 30 seconds after this photo he stopped and peed on a motorcycle and walked on. He was king here.

No comments:
Post a Comment