We got good deal on a hotel room and headed to Brussels this past Saturday. We both had low expectations, but we wanted to "check it off of our list" of places to see that were relatively nearby. We actually had a really nice time and for an overnight trip, we got a lot out of it. Brussels is about a 2 hour drive from Luxembourg.
Once we got there we discovered that it was time for their "Christmas Market". Lots of wooden shacks sold snacks, crafts and a classic christmas market favorite, "Gluhwein". Gluhwein is bascially very sweet, hot wine. it's not bad, especially when you're walking around in the cold and you want to feel festive.
Dave and me, enjoying some Gluhwein. Walking around the city, we smelled it warming in various pots and kettles. I think eveyrone used the exact same recipe or brand of Gluhwein. it all smelled the same, and it actually started to smell like glue to me.

Some of the incredibly ornate architecture in the Grand Place. I think these are some of the guild houses were members of varous trades (blacksmiths, brewers, bakers, etc.) met (I need to look it up to be sure.)

We hit another tourist attraction - Manneken Pis (which means "little man pee" in Dutch). I had read about this bronze statue but was surprised at how small it was. I was also surprised that it wasn't in some huge fountain in the center of town. instead, it was tucked in this pretty modest, although tourist-crowded corner on some side street. It has hundreds of costumes and there is a non-profit group that is in charge of dressing him. sometimes he's connected to a keg of beer and you can hold a glass under his little "spout" to get a drink. Bizarre. Lots of legends surround this stature, but i dont know them so i wont elaborate.
Europe's–and possibly the World's–best (worst) mullet. We followed this guy for a few minutes, and several hundred yards through a really crowded plaza, trying to get this photo. Take note of the TAIL. I haven't seen one like this since I was in the 10th grade, and it was on some guy at the NY State Fair.
This nice mand is serving up a very delicious Belgian waffle, with whipped cream. It was really good. much better than i had expected.

After we hit most of the more touristy sites, we walked a ways to another neighborhood called Marolles. It's known for its selection of antique stores. It didn't dissappoint. i couldn't believe the size and selection of the antique stores. everything from very elegant and traditional cyrstal chandeliers to 1970's molded plastic desks, like this one.




On our way back from having a delicious dinner of mussel stew, fries, spicy shrimp stew, and the traditional Belgian chicken stew - Belgium is known for their soups - we stumbled upon the Christmas light show back in the Grand Place.
After a fun and busy day we got back to our hotel room to enjoy some bad TV. Now that we dont have TV in the house part of the treat of staying in a hotel is watching TV. The programs can be pretty funny, like this corny christmas special. we think it was Dutch.
I must comment on the mullet. I can't express to you how great it really was. Pictures cannot do it justice. You had to be there. I will go back to Brussels just to look for more!
ReplyDelete